Most people, when they hear that I am an ultrasound technician, think about babies and pregnant women right away. And it’s true that many ultrasound technicians spend most of their careers working with women who are pregnant or are trying to become pregnant. However, we have an important role in many other parts of medicine as well, and it is not unusual to see an Ultrasound Technician who has never worked around pregnant women since they were still in school.
1) An Ultrasound Technician can make a pretty decent salary. We help a lot of people, and our paychecks usually reflect that. Depending on many different factors, someone working full-time in this field, with the appropriate education and licensing could expect to make 45,000-75,000 dollars a year.
2) You would be hard-put to walk through a hospital and not be on a floor or in a department that we aren’t in. [...] Continue Reading…
A lot of people don’t seem to know that being a Radiology Technician can actually be a fun job. Obviously, it’s a very important job, with a heavy emphasis on patient contact.
1) Even though it is our job to administer certain tests, like MRI’s, x-rays, and mammograms, we will very rarely ( if ever) be the one to make the formal diagnosis about the results of that decision. That should be a judgment call that is made by a physician, no matter how much the patients might ask.
2) Although we can’t make the formal diagnosis, after a while, you’re likely to eventually have a good idea of what is wrong with a patient when you see the test results. Because of this, you will also have an enormous amount of confidential information about patients, and you can never disclose any of that information, or your opinion about anything to [...] Continue Reading…
A Surgical Technologist has a vital role in the medical setting. In general, it is important to note that the successful Surgical Technologist will be able to not only meet and anticipate the needs of the people that we are assisting. However, there are ten facts about this field that anyone considering the possibility of future employment should keep in mind before making their educational
1) We need to not only be able to get a room ready for the patient that will be operated on next, but be able to efficiently clean, stock, and disinfect the room immediately after for the next patient. That means that we have to be able to quickly work on a deadline.
2) Although we have a lot of patient contact, much of that time, the patient is asleep. In some facilities, we are responsible for getting the patient ready for surgery, in some facilities [...] Continue Reading…