In a world filled with behind the scene policies. Medical Billers and Coders are perhaps the most important behind the scene workers in our current world. This text will elaborate on the most intriguing aspects of this job.
What does the job consist of?
A patient needs to see his doctor, upon seeing him he orders a few tests. The coder/biller, who works in the doctor’s office, will assign codes to each of the tests. What makes him important you ask? The coder’s code will be used for communication between the doctor and the insurance company of the client. If the communication codes are flawed the insurance company will refuse to pay up for their client.
Here are a few interesting things about medical billing and coding.
• Did you know coders/billers need the understanding of ABCs of medical terminology? Which there are over 100s of terms, each suffix and prefix correspond to a certain problem or body type.
• Since there are lots of codes and terms for the entire medical tests and sometimes creating such a letter can be complicated with a pen and pencil. So most coders and billers need to be comfortable with the computer and all sorts of office programs.
• This work needs lots of thoughtfulness and lots of patient, finding the right codes for the medical terms can be hard. If you mess up the communication between the insurance company and the doctor will be wrong, the insurance company will refuse to pay for their client.
• You can get this job by being involved in doctor’s office, hospitals, clinics, medical laboratories.
• These coders need to be patient like I said earlier and also understanding about situations. Administrative systems often change in hospitals and overall, so coders need to adapt to new needs.
• You must be born with some good memorization because sometimes you will be asked to execute certain things quickly.
• Always be emotionless when working because at certain times you will be handling someone’s confidential information.
• Good classes to have in your wings would be, a good math course, computer classes and of course science, biology.
• Like I said errors aren’t accepted in this line of job. So volunteering is the best way to gain the most important thing that will limit your errors.
• Coding originated by the use of death certificates to indicate the cause of the death.
• This job is supposed to be one of the most lucrative jobs in the US and it will continue to grow. Also other jobs in this department will grow; the growth shall be noticed in 2018.
• The average for a coding professional in a health home is around $36,000 and for those working in hospice care $57,000. But more than half of coders work at acute-care hospitals where they make $43,000.
This job is vastly growing all around the states, like a smart man would say it’s a bankable future.