Home > Random Stumblz > Fun Facts about Bayern Munich

Fun Facts about Bayern Munich

January 17th, 2010

Football is famous all over in the world but the big leagues are in Europe with Germany being one of them. One team has achieved everything in German Football and their name is Bayern Munich. Their full name being FC Bayern München AG, they have the biggest following in Germany and one of the biggest in Europe. Here are a few interesting facts about them, their history etc..

Some of the nicknames for the club are Der FCB(The FCB), Die Bayern( The Bavarians), Die Roten(The Red) and FC Hollywood.

  • The club has been around for 110 years, they were founded in 1900.
  • Their Chairman once was Franz Beckenbauer but now is only an adviser  one of the best footballers to ever grace the pitch.
  • They have won 4 Champion League titles and have been countless finals. They also have won the German league, Bundesliga, 20 times.
  • Their stadium, the Allianz Arena holds around 69,000 people.
  • In 1900, The Munich Gymnastic club decided to make a football club and that’s how it started, 9 years later they won their first  title, in 1909, in the Bavarian competition
  • In 1932, they won the German League by defeating Eintracht Frankfurt, however their progress was halted because of Hitler’s emergence in Germany. And their chairman at the time being Jewish, they had to leave the country.
  • The Bundesliga was created in 1963, there were other leagues before but this united the country after the war.
  • In 1966, their first season in Bundesliga they finished third with players like Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Sepp Maier. They qualified for the European Winners Cup and went on to win it in a memorable final vs Rangers whom they defeated 1-0 the only goal coming by Beckenbauer late in extra time.
  • Under Branko Zebec, Bayern became a very offensive team and went on to win their first double, with only using 13 players the entire way.
  • Their next coach was Udo Lattek which was told about to the club by Franz, one of their star players at the time. The club made him manager and he didn’t disappoint. Under him they won their 3rd league title, a domestic cup. In 1971, their 3rd title, they won it in the last game vs Schalke 04 5-1, it was the last game of the season and the first bundesliga game ever shown on TV.  They followed to win two more league titles
  • Bayern Munich had 6 players that won 1972 Euros with Germany.
  • Ottmar Hitzfeld has been on tenure the longest as manager at Bayern Munich with over 2000 days.
  • Bayern won their first European Champions Cup vs Atletico Madrid, 4-0 in the return leg(this cup had legs even in the finals), Bayern defended it successfully vs Leeds United the next year and then again the year after against St-Etienne. They were the third team to achieve that feat and the last.
  • In 03/04 Bayern won their fourth double.
  • Bayern  Munich have a few rivals, they have their local city rivals. TSV Munich, the blue side of Munich. Other rivals include Leverkusen, Dortmund and Schalke 04.
  • Bayern is run like a standard company, 90% of the shares are owned by the club and the other 10% by Adidas.

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.