Religions have practically existed forever and many crazy things have happened due to it. It has shaped our current modern world to some extent. Not many traditions have lived as long as the ones religion has created. Here are some fun facts about religion and its effect on the world.
- Through the late 17th till the 19th century, most of Portugal was owned by the church despite being a kingdom. Exploration hadn’t only filled the coffers of the royal family but also the catholic churches of Europe. This fact also meant that Portugal’s colonies were the most religious colonies as well.
- Every year there are hundreds of one day marriages in Las Vegas where right after a divorce follows. This is mostly because Las Vegas has the most chapels per miles/square. It is ironic that the city of sin has more religious structures than anywhere else.
- Pope Adrian VI had a death that was…weird to say the least. He got a mosquito stuck on his throat and choked to his death, this happened while he was drinking from a fountain. Despite being a moderately decent pope, he’s death was rejoiced by Italians, he was known as a barbarian and there were parades for his death.
- San Francisco has always know to be a hip and ahead of the curve city but one of its achievements is remarkable even for it. In 1982, a transvestite nun known as Sister Boom-Boom ran for mayor of the city and received a whooping 20 thousand votes.
- Temples are dedicated to all sorts of religious meanings or objects but a temple in Sri Lanka takes the cake for best dedication. A Buddhist temple solely made for Buddha’s teeth.
- In the Hindu religion it was once considered bad luck to marry a third time, so to avoid this misfortune Hindu man would marry a tree for the third wife and then burn the tree. This would make his next marriage his 4th, freeing him from misfortune.
- Another Hindu tradition is to whisper to a cow what you want a girl or a boy if your pregnant. This is because cows are a scared animal in Hindu lore.
Those are some crazy facts about religion, hope you enjoyed.